Sunday, July 8, 2007

Time is getting short

Where have we been? What have we been doing? When we initially submitted our mission paperwork we felt that we had all the time in the world!! Not so!

It's been 6 weeks since our last post and we've been busy. Our last trip to California and Arizona to say goodbye to family and friends. That was tough and it was just a taste of the goodbyes yet to come.

We've now completed our series of inoculations for Africa. Yellow Fever has been a nasty shot for both of us making us feel really yukkie! Four Typhoid pills with live virus has been a knock out punch for me. Jan took the shot with the dead virus and didn't have any problems at all. I opted for the pills with the live virus because they said it was cheaper and the effect lasted longer. It seemed like a "no brainer". Bad decision. I got through the first two pills just fine then the third pill was last Sunday morning. I had aches and pains in every joint like a bad case of the flu. Spent Sunday trying to sleep it off. Tuesday morning was the 4th and final pill. WOW! Everything was fine for the first hour then I'm standing at the mirror shaving and it felt like someone kicked me in the back. I could hardly get around on Tuesday. Wednesday was the 4th of July and I was totally dibilitated. I had to use Jan's old cane to get around and so Jan started me on pain pills. With those I survived Thursday and then when things didn't get better I thought I'd better get to a doctor. Friday the doctor started me on a six day regimen of pain pills and muscle relaxers. It's now Sunday and except for the pills making me a little loopy I feel that I'm getting back to normal. My mother before her death in her 90's used to say with all of her aches and pains that "getting old wasn't for sissies". Well I can add that getting ready for a mission to Africa "isn't for sissies either".

No comments: